…but they have some good ideas as to the healthy components, according to a report in MedPageToday. A snippet:
Through a subtractive statistical technique, the EPIC investigators calculated that the biggest chunk of the health advantage — 24% — came from moderate alcohol consumption (predominantly wine).
The other relative contributions were:
- 17% from low consumption of meat and meat products
- 16% from high vegetable consumption
- 11% from high fruit and nut consumption
- 11% from high monounsaturated-to-saturated lipid ratio (largely due to olive oil consumption)
- 10% from high legume consumption
Here’s my definition of the Mediterranean diet.
Sofi F, et al “Ideal consumption for each food group composing Mediterranean diet score for preventing total and cardiovascular mortality” EuroPRevent 2013; Abstract P106.